Motorcycle Accidents in Rutland, Vermont
The impact of a motorcycle accident can be far reaching and devastating. There are medical bills, significant lost wages, and the difficulties involved in dealing with insurance companies. This can cause overwhelming stress at a time that you should be focusing on healing and getting your life back on track. Kalter, Kalter & Mabey can help alleviate a bit of that stress by navigating your claims process and get you the compensation you deserve.
Motorcycle Accident Statistics
Motorcycle crashes result in the deaths and serious injuries of thousands of riders in the U.S. each year. While motorcycles only account for two percent of vehicles on the road, they are a part of 10 percent of crashes. According to the NHTSA, motorcycle fatalities have decreased in recent years, but they are still at a much higher risk than those traveling in cars or trucks. However, it’s also important to note that in 80 percent of multi-vehicle collisions involving motorcycles, the rider is either deemed not at fault or at less fault than the other driver.
What Should I do Following a Motorcycle Accident?
While police typically do a decent job at investigating a crash, blame is sometimes wrongfully placed on Vermont bikers. Because of this, it’s imperative that you collect any available evidence in the immediate aftermath. This includes photographing the scene and all vehicles involved in the accident.
If you or a loved one was involved in a motorcycle crash, these are some helpful dos and don’ts:
- Gather as much information as possible, including the other person’s ID and insurance information, road conditions, witness statements and contact information, photos, all related medical visits and bills, lost wages, police reports and repair estimates
- Seek immediate medical attention if you are injured or think you could have an injury
- Report the accident to your insurance company if any damages or injuries occur
- Make copies of all information gathered before passing it along to anyone else
- File a report with the Vermont Department of Motor Vehicles within 72 hours if there were any injuries or damages over $3,000
- Provide the other driver’s insurance company with a tape-recorded statement without an attorney’s counsel
- Fill out forms or reports for the other driver’s insurance company without having a consultation with a top Rutland motorcycle crash attorney
- Sign any settlement offers prior to consultation with a Vermont personal injury lawyer
By keeping tight records of this information, our experienced attorneys in Rutland, VT will be able to help you get the damages you’re owed.
Handling Insurance Companies
Vermont is just one of many states requiring all drivers to carry car insurance. Luckily, this means that we can file a claim and work towards compensation pretty quickly. However, Vermont is a fault state, which means that many of these companies will do everything in their power to shift responsibility onto you or underpay on claims. Insurance companies exist primarily to turn a profit, and you claim would be a loss to them. This is where we come in. A top personal injury lawyer knows exactly what factors are needed in order to receive a fair settlement. We also will not hesitate to drag and insurance company to court over denied claims.
Do I Need a Rutland Accident Attorney?
In pretty much any case, it’s ideal to meet with an experienced motorcycle attorney with the knowledge needed to determine your next steps. They can answer any questions you have, assist you in handling difficult insurance companies, and help you determine what your damages may be. It’s especially pertinent to meet with an attorney if you or a loved one was injured or killed. You don’t need to be put through the wringer anymore than you already have, so let us handle these pieces and help get your life back in order.
You Need Us Fighting on Your Side
The days, weeks and months following a bad motorcycle crash can be filled with uncertainty and stress, but Kalter, Kalter and Mabey has the knowledge, experience and resources necessary to get you compensation. This leaves you free to start healing and get your life back on track.
If you have been injured in a Rutland, Vermont motorcycle accident, call our team of experts today.